*** WARNING 30: Clipnodes 84117 exceed normal engine max 32767*** WARNING 37: Faces 42056 exceed normal engine max 32767*** WARNING 31: Marksurfaces 49951 exceed normal engine max 32767
Thank you, friendly BSP format limit.
After just a few hours of mapping, e1m2rq’s clipnodes count went from 47k to 84k yesterday, crashing all of RMQe, DP and FTE upon loading the map. Oops. Seems like I broke Quake. Again.
What happened? Here’s the best idea I have:
The older parts of the map were already very detail heavy, without the map even being layout complete. I’m talking Doom 3 level of detail here, using models for things like new torches, candles, human base equipment and turrets, but largely brush-based detail which makes the count of a number of esoteric quantums somewhere in the BSP format increase.
In this situation, I then decided to turn the entire map into playable area – inside and out. You can basically walk on the roofs, and you can grapple up through openings in the roofs. You could even jump out a high window, or fall off a tower. Stuff like that. I surrounded the level with terrain until it formed a square. Then I built a simple box of sky around the entire thing, and started detailing the roofs of the entire structure and turning them into playable area.
As you can see, I was planning to surround this “core” with triangle terrain. Some I did by hand, and for the rest of the outlying terrain I wanted to use the Canyon Terrain Editor, which had already proven its usefulness.
What is a map with terrain without vegetation? So, coming from Crysis mapping, you know, and with quite some optimism, I thought to put grass and trees in. I even got there, without many problems, as I already showed you, and the results were pleasing.
At this point, it still ran, and looking down from the central tower the r_speeds showed about 18k wpoly and 60k epoly max. The RMQengine, magnificent as it is, handled this punishment gracefully.
So yesterday I did a good bit of blocking out and adding basic geometry to the end of the map, in order to get it finished for the coming demo. I built another 24 sided tower, some bits of castle wall, some broad-strokes type of detail for the towers etc, an archway, and a broken bit of wall. I also started to divide the terrain of my large courtyard into terraces, in preparation for eventual detailing with triangle mesh. This is about what was added yesterday:
I also had to enlarge my surrounding terrain on two sides to keep it a square.
So this bit of stuff apparently broke Quake. Anyway, it crashed the engine with the error given above. At first I thought I might have too many vertices; so I deleted about 4000 triangles (which is why the brush count is down to 7000-something). Nope. Turns out it was the clipnodes – I went way, WAY over the BSP format limit of 64k in just a few hours.
Now as you might gather from the screenshots, there isn’t really much I could remove. The map isn’t even layout complete – the exit is still missing, and the large courtyard isn’t even detailed. Plus the outlying terrain isn’t even in yet. Can you imagine how many vertices and clipnodes that stuff will add?
Also, consider that stuff like this is still in the pipeline:
e1m5rq already breaks the old map size limit and there isn’t even any terrain to consider yet. Imagine that surrounded with nice mountains and stuff. But… but… the limits!!1!1one!
Fuck the limits, man. e1m2rq is the third map in RMQ that’s running into the limits of the BSP format (e2m1rq and e3m3rq were the others). Some of us were forced to hack around those, offloading geometry into external .bsp files for example. Frankly, that is quite horrid and it can’t go on like that. Eventually, something has to give, and something is going to give. Just not right before a release.
What this means for you guys is, this map might after all not be in the demo, or it will be included in a heavily restricted form. This sucks, naturally, but I think we have just, definitely, found the end of a technology that was devised in the 90s.