After the Munich shooting German government and media are putting the blame on “Gewaltspiele”, which must be translated as “violence games” or even “homicide games”. German Minister of the Interior De Maiziere said: “Those violence games on the Internet can’t be good.” German weekly Der Spiegel picks up the ball and runs with it: “He called himself Hate – intensely played violence games on the Internet.”
The case is clear, right? Those damned games corrupted yet another innocent young man.
What do we know?
- Shooter grew up in Germany but also had an Iranian passport
- Known as a nice boy to neighbours
- Was undergoing treatment for depression
- Was ridiculed by classmates, had no friends
- Was invited to Counter-Strike team “out of pity”
- Racist toward Turks and Jews, spouted hate online
- Described by teammates as “strongly nationalistic”
- Called himself “Amokläufer” (“crazy shooter”)
- Worshipped other teenage shooters
- Started team-killing online, then dropped out
- Researched shootings such as Anders Behring Breivik’s
- Committed shooting on 5 year anniversary of Utøya shooting
- Shouts in a video, “I am a German”
- Large part of victims were immigrants
- Killed himself when confronted by police
Looks to me like he was a racist fucker who worshipped Breivik. Possibly had a hard youth. Apparently police assisted suicide with shooting spree.
Sad story. But video games as the culprit? Seems like a stretch. More like, playing a disproportionate amount of video games and spouting hate online (as unfortunately, a lot of self-professed “gamers” tend to do) are a symptom and an outlet for such people. How exactly video games function in this context (perhaps as desensitizers?) isn’t clear at all. They’re not the root cause for this guy’s fucked-up life story, anyway.
Breivik, who killed almost 100 people in Norway five years ago, played World of Warcraft… as millions of people do without turning into crazed killers.
Come on, politicians, media people, there has to be a better reason and it’s not that hard to find.